Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Love Your Husband

When I first looked at Titus 2:4 in my Bible, I thought, "Of course I love my husband!" But after a heart felt study through God's Word, I discovered that I was to hold my husband first in my heart after God. As a homeschool mom, sometimes we get our priorities out of order, I tend to put my children before my husband; but God has really been working on this momma's heart and here is how I have learned to nurture a heart of love, a heart prepared to support her husband "until death do us part".

#1 Pray for your husband daily.
"Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." James 5:16

As you invest your time, your heart, and your life in prayer for your husband, you will find it impossible to neglect the person you are praying for! Matthew 6:21 reads "For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also." Focusing on your husband in prayer will help you focus on him in your heart, your thoughts, and your actions.

#2 Plan for him daily.
"The thoughts of the diligent tend only to plenteousness." Proverbs 21:5

As much as you and I desire to be a wife who lovingly supports her husband, such loving support only comes with planning. Plan special deeds of kindness - what can you do to make him feel special or what can you do to help lighten his load? Plan special dinners - what is his favorite dinner or dessert? Plan special time alone - plan a date night, even when money is tight, David and I will go to Dairy Queen for an ice cream and talk to our heart's content.

#3 Prepare for him daily.
"The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil." Proverbs 31:11

Preparing for your husband's homecoming each day shows him that he is a priority and you communicate your heart of love. Prepare the house - take a few minutes before your husband is due home to quickly pick up and have the children put away their toys. Prepare your appearance - freshen your makeup or put on a squirt of perfume. Prepare your greeting - stop what you are doing and greet him at the door - and prepare your words, what you say when your husband arrives home can set the tone for the entire evening.

#4 Please him.
"Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence: and likewise also the wife unto her husband. The wife hath not power of her own body, but the husband: and likewise also the husband hath not power of his own body, but the wife. Defraud ye not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency." 1 Corinthians 7:3-5

Pleasing your husband means paying careful attention to his wants, his likes, and his dislikes - and this takes a little work. Put on your thinking cap and get to work showing your husband the love that is in your heart!

#5 Praise him.
"Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearer." Ephesians 4:29

This is a tough one for me, sometimes I speak before I think about my words, and I have hurt my husband by tearing him down and not lifting him up. We should praise our husbands in the privacy of our homes - thanking him for providing for our family. We should praise our husbands in public -  never speak critically or negatively about your husband to anyone - and let him hear you praise him in public!

No comments:

Post a Comment