Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Back-to-School Checklist

 

Many of us will soon be back to school for another year-long learning adventure. Here is my back-to-school checklist to help you get off to a good start.

[] Choose Curriculum

[] Purchase Curriculum & School Supplies

[] Plan Curriculum

[] Organize School Area

[] Start a New School Year

Choose Curriculum

Back in May, I sat down with pen and paper to plan out our sophomore year. I made a curriculum list that included subject, publisher, and product. For grammar, we will be using BJU Press Writing and Grammar 11. For spelling, we will be using Critical Thinking Company Vocabulary Virtuoso PSAT-SAT Book 2. For reading, we will be using Progeny Press literature study guides. For math, we will be using Teaching Textbooks Geometry. For history, we will be using BJU Press World History. For science, we will be using Apologia Chemistry. For foreign language, we will be using BJU Distance Learning Spanish 2. During this time, I also made a list of any school supplies we were running low on – notebook paper, mechanical pencils, erasers, dry erase markers, etc.

Purchase Curriculum & School Supplies

In June and July, I purchase curriculum and school supplies. BJU Press materials were ordered at the Summer Summit, a homeschool mom convention, so I could receive 25% off plus free shipping. Science and Spelling materials were ordered through Rainbow Resource Center. Math was purchased from a friend; and Reading was already on hand from homeschooling my older children. For school supplies, I simply shopped at our local Walmart.

Plan Curriculum

In August, I sit down with my planner/gradebook to plan the entire school year. Planning is my niche, so I simply set aside one day to get this done. Here is the link to purchase My Happy Homeschool Planner; and here is the link explaining why I plan the entire school year.

Organize School Area

After planning curriculum, I place student books and teacher books in their bins and place on the shelf. We have a school room, so all materials are organized on the bookcase; and I have a small basket on my desk to store mechanical pencils, erasers, dry erase makers, protractors, calculators, etc.

Start a New School Year

I will begin our homeschool year when my older two begin their college classes, so we will all begin the 2021-2022 school year in August, at the same time, as we all learn a new schedule for the year-long learning adventure. When we begin the new school year, we like to take pictures and share on social media (just like our public school friends announce the new grade level, so do we).

Happy Homeschooling!


No comments:

Post a Comment