Thursday, April 1, 2021

Leaving a Godly Legacy

 


What legacy will you leave? If you died today, how would you be remembered? Lord, willing, your legacy will start a godly lineage that will reach across the future generations to come.

My grandma, Mary E. Carroll, passed away on Wednesday, March 24, 2021. I recall waking up very early the morning before meeting with the funeral director, writing these words for her obituary –

Mary was a virtuous woman who looked well to the ways of her household. It truly was a joy for her to care for her family through cooking, baking, sewing, gardening, or whatever else needed to be done. She worked willingly with her hands, breeding rat terriers, painting, creating VBS backdrops, and preserving food for family and friends. She opened her mouth with wisdom. She was a warrior for Christ using Biblical truths to encourage her children and grandchildren to love Him, know Him, and follow Him. Mary also loved to sing songs of praise and worship to her Lord, and she is now singing in heavens choir.

Most people associate a legacy with material possessions; however, a godly legacy is the imprint you leave on the future. Because of my grandma, my family came to know Christ. She was able to leave a godly legacy because she had a personal relationship with Christ and I have learned…

1.       To leave a godly legacy to the next generation we must teach them. God’s Word instructs us to diligently teach our children (Deuteronomy 6:6-7) and share the wonderful works He has done (Psalm 78:4).

2.       To leave a godly legacy to the next generation we must set an example. God’s Word tells us that Christ is our example and we should follow in his steps (1 Peter 2:21).

Throughout her days, my grandma was intentional to create a home that honored God. She taught me how to live my life according to Scripture and she was an example of Christ. If she were here today, she would say, “I’d rather have Jesus than anything, this world affords today.” She has anchored her soul in the “Haven of Rest” and she will sail the wide seas no more because in Jesus, she’s safe evermore.

Grandma selected the following poem to be used in the stationary, and I want to close with these words –

Don’t grieve for me, for now I’m free

I’m following the path God laid for me.

I took his hand when I heard Him call

I turned my back, and left it all.

I could not stay another day

To laugh, to love, to work or play.

Tasks left undone must stay that way

I found that peace at the close of the day.

If my parting has left a void

Then fill it with remembered joy.

A friendship shared, a laugh, a kiss

Ah, yes, these things I too will miss.

Be not burdened with times of sorrow

I wish for you the sunshine of tomorrow.

My life has been full, I’ve savored much

Good friends, good times, a loved one’s touch.

Perhaps my time seemed all too brief

Don’t lengthen it now with undue grief.

Lift up your heart and share with me

God wanted me now, He set me FREE!


No comments:

Post a Comment