Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Everyday Cooking - TOS Review


EverydayHomemaking has created an eBook EverydayCooking that provides easy-to-prepare, nutritious, budget-friendly meals for you and your family. In the spirit of Titus 2, Vicki shares timesaving tips, meal planning, shopping hints, and pressure cooker tips. But above all, she shares her own family recipes – breakfast ideas, appetizers, dressings, grains, main dishes, soups, sides, desserts, snacks, and how to make homemade vanilla extract. Please note, while emphasis is on whole foods cooking, they are not purists, you will find their favorite Jell-O salad recipe, plus many sugar-free and gluten-free options.

My girls would rather bake than cook; and they all love chocolate, so it was no surprise that my girls selected to make Edna’s Triple Chocolate Cake. Not a whole foods items, but very yummy!

 

Ingredients for the Cake:

1 package (3 ¾ oz) chocolate pudding

2 cups milk – our family substituted with almond milk

1 box chocolate cake mix

2 eggs

12 oz. chocolate chips

Prepare pudding with milk (instant or cooked). Combine cake mix with 2 eggs for about 2 minutes. Blend in pudding; fold in chips. Pour into greased/floured Bundt pan. Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes, till done.

Ingredients for the Glaze:

½ cup chocolate chips

2 tablespoons butter

1 tablespoon light corn syrup

Combine in small saucepan over low heat. Cool slightly and drizzle over cooled cake.

 

Edna’s Triple Chocolate Cake is very moist and delicious! So good, my girls were making another cake within the same week! The recipe is quite simple and very easy to follow.

As I was looking through the recipes, I came across “Bacon with Less Mess” and was a bit intrigued. I have never cooked bacon in the oven. Needless to say, I gave it a try. To cook 1 pound of bacon with less mess, preheat oven to 400. Line a rimmed baking pan with foil. Separate bacon slices and place on a rack in the pan, or crumple the foil to create ridges to catch the bacon drippings. Bake 10-20 minutes, to desired crispness. When I followed this recipe, I crumpled the foil to create ridges to catch the bacon drippings. I had to bake 25 minutes to get the bacon crispy, and it was still too greasy for me – but then I do not eat a lot of greasy foods. I blotted each strip with a paper towel to remove the grease. Next time, I will use a bacon rack instead of foil and see if it makes a difference when cooking bacon in the oven.

Vicki also shares the unit study her children did for high school as one portion of a home economics credit; and she provides a Food & Nutrition Mini-Unit as an example. She also shares the Basic Cooking Skills Checklist which provides a list of dishes to prepare from scratch where children demonstrate their understanding of various cooking techniques. Completion of the list earned Vicki’s children a full home economics credit – whether they completed it in a month or three years.

Vicki is offering 10% off (print or eBook) through Labor Day! Use code TOS10books to save 10%!

Visit the CrewBlog to read more reviews.

 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for reviewing the book.I do find it easier to get the bacon crispy on a rack, but I know some folks don't have those. But we sure do like bacon, and this method saved me getting splattered at the stovetop! LOL I hope you'll try some of the other recipes -- and for those who don't utilize e-books or digital downloads, the book is available in print format, too!

    ReplyDelete