Sheldon Lake StatePark and Environmental Learning Center is a 2,800-acre outdoor education and recreation facility located at 14140 Garrett Road, Houston, Texas 77044 managed by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. Programs are free of charge on a reservation basis. Please note, a minimum of 1:10 adult to child ratio is required for most activities.
After visiting the park with our homeschool group, I would recommend choosing two 60-minute activities, break for a picnic lunch, and then choose an additional 30-minute activity. All programs are adapted to fit the needs of your group.
Each of the following activities is approximately 60 minutes:
- Nature Discover Walk - 1/4 and 1/2 mile
- Pond Food Web/Aquatic Adaptations - water quality testing and indicator species
- Fishing - catch and release (poles and bait provided)
- Bird Migration - adaptation activity and game
- Junior Ranger Badge - complete a minimum of five activities
- Geocaching 101 - GPS provided
- Alternative Energy/Green Building
- Recycling and Composting
- Water Wise and Pollution
- Arts in the Park
- Alligator Adaptations and Safety
- Agents of Nature