Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Till Death Do Us Part


In all the hustle and bustle of homeschooling and keeping up with the kids schedule, it is easy to put our marriage on the back burner. I would like to share with you today what God's Word says about marriage and how I nurture a heart of love, a heart prepared to support her husband until till death do us part.


I am on assignment from God to help my husband.


Genesis 2:18 reads "And the LORD God said, It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him."


How can I help my husband?
  • I ask him "What can I do to help you today?"
  • I follow through in a timely manner with the task he ask me to do and I do it with excellence.
  • In word and deed, I ask "Will this help or hinder my husband?" 
I am on assignment from God to submit to my husband.

Ephesians 5:22 reads "Wives, submit yourselves unto your husbands, as unto the Lord."

How can I submit to my husband?
  • Be willing to let him have the final say.
  • Be willing to admit when you're wrong, and say you're sorry.
  • In word and deed, speak and show him respect.
I am on assignment from God to love my husband.

Titus 2:4 admonishes us to "love their husbands".

How can I love my husband?
  • Pray for your husband. James 5:16 reads "Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." To pray for your husband effectually, create a page for him in your prayer journal. Write his name at the top and then list the aspects of his life you want to hold up to God - his role as husband, his role as father, his health, his work, his ministry. As you invest your time, your heart, and your life in prayer for your husband, you'll wake up one day and find arguments decreasing and mellowing - even warming - heart toward your husband. It is truly impossible to hate or neglect a person you are praying for.
  • Plan for your husband. Plan special deeds of kindness. Each morning I ask God to show me something I can do for David that will cheer him up or make him feel special. Plan special dinners. When I plan the weekly meals, I ask David and my girls which meals they would like for dinner, and then I prepare those meals. Plan to go to bed at the same time. Doing so will nurture physical love in your marriage. 1 Corinthians 7:3-5 reads "let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence: and likewise also the wife unto her husband. The wife hath no power of her own body, but the husband: and likewise also the husband hath no power of his own body, but the wife. Defraud ye not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come again together, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency." 
  • Prepare for your husband. Preparing for your husband's homecoming each day shows him that he is a priority and communicates a heart of love. Prepare the house, take a few minutes before your husband is due home to quickly pick up. Prepare your appearance. If company were coming, you would do a little something to freshen up, wouldn't you? Your husband, the most important person in your life is about to walk through the door, so he should get the most special treatment of all. 
  • Praise your husband. Ephesians 4:29 reads "Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearer." We should praise our husband in the privacy of our home, thanking him for providing for our family. And we should never pass up an opportunity to praise our husband in public.
 To summarize, a wife is on assignment from God to help her husband, to submit to her husband, and to love her husband. Put these principles to work and you'll communicate "I love you" more powerfully than words alone can! So put on your thinking cap and get to work showing your husband the love that is in your heart!


No comments:

Post a Comment