Friday, May 20, 2022

Career Exploration: Being a District Clerk

 

Choosing a career path can be extremely intimidating to a young person. In this Career Exploration series, I interview many different fields of study to help students explore the possibilities as they pursue a career path.

Meet Dana Hogg, District Clerk of Hardin County, Texas.

Why did you choose this career path?

I chose to become a Certified Legal Assistant (aka Certified Paralegal). After 30 years of being a CLA, I felt called to run for District Clerk of the county where I live.  I wanted to help people and running for public office seemed the perfect solution.

What kind of education, training, or background does your job require?   

I attended college and then studied to take the certification exam given by the National Association of Legal Assistants.  District Clerks must complete 20 hours if CLE each year to keep their office.  I also renew my CLA certification by completing 50 CLE hours over a 5-year period.

What skills, abilities, and personal attributes are essential to success in this field? 

Some of the skills that are essential for success in this career include strong knowledge of legal terminology, office etiquette, working knowledge of computer software such as Word, Excel, Adobe Professional and like software.  Patience with people and the ability to manage an office staff are helpful attributes.

What does a typical work day look like for you? 

I start each day by checking email. I check voicemails and return calls. I usually have several email requests for records that are kept in my office.  Court hearings usually begin at 9 am.  The electronic filing system must be checked for new document fillings before the hearings begin.   I take the files that are on the docket for that particular day into the courtroom.  I give the file to the Judge as he calls each case.  After hearing the case, Judge will return the file to me with any orders he may have signed.  I file-stamp the signed orders. A copy of those orders will be returned to the parties in the case by electronic filing.  The documents are scanned, indexed and filed into the case file.  Other duties include fulfilling requests for certified copies.  A certified copy is a true and exact copy of the document in my file.  I am the keeper of all district court records.  Some records are sealed and are not available to the public. I report each month to the State with the number of new cases, types of cases and the resolution of cases that have been filed. The types of cases filed in district court include civil and criminal. Other duties include summoning petit and grand juries.

You see, the District Clerk is a constitutional position, elected every four years to serve as the custodian of all court pleadings and papers that are a part of any cause of action in the district and county court at law courts in various jurisdictions. The District Clerk also serves in the following capacities: Registrar (docketing, indexing and recording all documents part of felony criminal, family, juvenile, delinquent tax and civil court cases), Record Manager (manages records to be easily retrieved for public and court access, preserve records for permanent storage in archives and dispose of records according to the Texas Library of Archives Records Retention schedule), Court Collections (responsible for collecting and distributing court costs and fines), Financial Officer (prepares court cost in accordance to legislation every two years), Data Manager (responsible for gathering data and reporting to several state and local agencies), and Juror Administrator (maintains the jury wheel annually from the Secretary of State and summons all jurors for the county).

What do you like most about your work? 

What I like the most about my job is that I am able to assist people as they go through some difficult challenges in life. 

What do you like least about your work?

The thing I like the least is dealing with the hiring and firing of personnel.

What advice would you give someone who is considering a career in your field? 

Attend college and do your best to keep your grades up.  If you are interested in a political career, I would recommend taking classes that help you learn to speak in front of large crowds.  I will admit that this is not my strong point!

Happy Homeschooling!

No comments:

Post a Comment