Sunday, April 5, 2020

Facts not Fear



I have been hesitant to share my thoughts in regards to the coronavirus pandemic; but after reading and watching several news reports, I feel like I should write a word of encouragement. Everyday we are flooded with more information; but it wasn’t until a recent local death and a county Stay Home order when I personally worried over the health and wellbeing of my family. My youngest daughter is living with a primary immunodeficiency disease and she requires weekly immunoglobulin therapy, so with her being high risk, I have taken every precaution to protect her and everyone else in my home. This brings me to my main point. While watching a local news report, one of my girls asked why they promoted “Facts not Fear” which led us to a family discussion. You see, there is something much worse than the virus itself, it is living in fear. When you live in fear, a reactive part of your brain takes control of your actions. You enter into a fight-flight-freeze response. When you are in this reactive state, your body starts to produce a steroid called cortisol to help you handle stress. This cortisol weakens your immune system. When your body is stuck in fight-flight-freeze response, your body wastes a lot of energy which makes your body weak and more vulnerable. Living in fear makes you more susceptible to get sick. If you have been living in fear with all the uncertainty around us, I would like to remind you that God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind (2 Timothy 1:7). I pray that these times of uncertainty will cause us to put our confidence in the grace of God, for we can boldly proclaim with David, yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me (Psalm 23:4). Yes, we need to keep updated with all the facts regarding the coronavirus pandemic; but as Christians, we do not need to live in fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment