Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Psalm Chapter 3



The third psalm shows the security of God’s protection. The historical background for this psalm is found in 2 Samuel 15-17 where David had to take flight from his own palace to hide himself from his rebellious son Absalom.


Psalm 3:1-2 – LORD, how are they increased that trouble me! many are they that rise up against me. Many there be which say of my soul, There is no help for him in God. Selah.


David complains of the multitude of his enemies; and if you turn to 2 Samuel 15:12, you will find that “the conspiracy was strong; for the people increased continually with Absalom.” His own son is in rebellion against him, and now his faithful counsellors have turned their backs on him, even his generals and soldiers have deserted his standards. His enemies boast, and their words cut him to the core, when they say that his God had forsaken him. The term “Selah” is a musical pause. This should cause us to pause and meditate on God’s Word so that we may lift up our hearts in grateful song.


Psalm 3:3-4 – But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. I cried unto the LORD with my voice, and he heard me out of his holy hill. Selah.


David declares his confidence in the Lord. David knew he would return in triumph and by faith he glorified God. He is certain the Lord will hear him and answer his prayer in this time of need. If only, we may learn to glory in our tribulations, to lift up our head, and trust that God hears our prayers and will answer according to his will, for we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose (Romans 8:28).


Psalm 3:5-6 – I laid me down and slept; I awaked; for the LORD sustained me. I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people, that have set themselves against me round about.


David’s confidence in the Lord allowed him to sleep in the midst of his trouble, and he awoke in safety, for the Lord sustained him. As David prepares for battle, he sings with assurance “I will not be afraid” for he knows the battle belongs to the Lord.


Psalm 3:7-8 – Arise, O LORD; save me, O my God: for thou hast smitten all mine enemies upon the cheek bone; thou hast broken the teeth of the ungodly. Salvation belongeth unto the LORD: thy blessing is upon thy people. Selah.


David put his hope in the Lord and now he rejoices because God has smitten his enemies. He gives glory to God as he exclaims “Salvation belongeth unto the LORD” because God is the Author and Originator of his salvation. Oh, that we would be like David, an oppressed righteous man who looked confidently to salvation from the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment