Thursday, July 7, 2016

My Homeschool Lesson Plan



As a homeschool mom, I have a homeschool plan. In fact, I have a plan for the ENTIRE homeschool year. While some may baulk at the idea of planning out the entire homeschool year, allow me to share how and why I plan for the entire homeschool year.

HOW?

Planning a full year of school work can seem like a formidable task at first; but dividing the work into smaller units, makes the task more manageable. Let's do this one step at a time.

To plan out a textbook by lessons, list the textbook, list the number of lessons in it, and list the total number of tests to be used with this textbook, making sure to count tests which are printed in the textbook.

With this information in front of you, you are ready to plan your school year.

Add tests to your lessons, this is your number of total lessons. Next, divide the number of total lessons by the number of school days to estimate how many lessons should be completed each day.

As you can see from my example, I plan a 4-day week, and we complete our school year in 36 weeks. Quarter 1 completes weeks 1-9. Quarter 2 completes weeks 10-18. Quarter 3 completes weeks 19-27. Quarter 4 completes weeks 28-36.

My homeschool lesson plan is also my grade book. When the assignment is complete, I write in the grade. After each quarter, I average the grade for the quarter and write it next to the quarter number. I then transfer this information to my child's transcript or report card and then at the end of the year all I have to do is figure the final grade.

WHY?

Now that you know I am a planner, perhaps you would like to know why I plan for the entire homeschool year.

A plan brings freedom. By taking the time in the summer to create my homeschool lesson plan for each subject, I don't have to waste my time during the school year trying to structure all the "HAVE TOs". I can use this time to provide some of the "WANT TOs". We have the freedom to take rabbit trails, create memories, and explore new interests because the foundation has already been created.

A plan affords flexibility. With a homeschool lesson plan already established, I can see at a glance what subjects need concentrated effort and what subjects won't require as much time and attention that day. If we need to jet off to an unplanned doctor's appointment or make a meal for a sick friend, I can quickly glance at my plan and know what can easily be brought along with us or can be started and then put on hold until later that day. And sometimes we just have to rearrange our week, if we have a doctor appointment on Wednesday, we do school on Monday-Tuesday-Thursday-Friday, this is why I love our 4-day lesson plan.

A plan provides a goal. As the old saying goes, "Without a plan, you plan o fail." Having a year-long plan sets definitive goals for both me and my children. While we may not complete every jot and tittle of the plan each day, we always maintain forward motion because there is a clear and KNOWN goal. My children's education is of high priority to me. I cannot afford to slip to idleness. Having a plan, or a goal, motivates me into action!

A plan creates a season. Scripture reminds us in Ecclesiastes 3:1 that there is a season for everything under the heavens. While each season of creation is different, they all have two things in common - a BEGINNING and an END. The very nature of a year-long lesson plan creates an obvious BEGINNING and an obvious END - a season. Without a plan of action, how can anyone know when the action is completed?





2 comments:

  1. I love this idea! Do you just use a table/spreadsheet to keep track? Different table per student or for every subject? This has inspired me to get the ball rolling to incorporate more of a blueprint for what we need to accomplish so we are free to learn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I create a template for each subject and then keep everything in one big binder with tabs dividing each subject.

      Delete